This time of year we start getting a lot of calls and emails about the right gear to bring out for you Montana fly fishing trip. While fly fishing gear can vary depending on the time of year you are visiting us here are a few staples that you should remember to check off your list.
Recommended fly fishing gear
- Montana Fishing License – we highly recommend visiting the state website and purchasing your license PRIOR to you trip. https://app.mt.gov/Als/Index
- Rod & Reel (Line weights from 4 to 7 with floating fly lines, a 9 foot 6 wt is perfect for everything, but if you have a combination of two rods to fish with; like a 5 wt for spring creeks and a 6wt for big rivers and windy days it is even better) This is a broad subject that depends on the angler’s preferences and the type of water fished.
- Wading Boots – studded boots are not preferred when fishing out of a drift boat as they will damage the floors of the boats.
- Waders – breathable waders are the only way to go! If you would like to purchase waders we recommend Sweetwater Fly Shop for a full selection of fishing supplies.
- Rain Coat – should be taken even on clear days our mountain weather can change in a matter of minutes.
- Water Shoes or Sandals – for wet wading on warmer days.
- Fishing vest, fanny pack, or net – all optional.
- Long underwear or fleece pants for under your waders.
- Layers of Clothing for Hot and Cool weather.
- Warm socks.
- A Waterproof Bag for personal items you bring in the boat.
- Hat – this not only provides better vision it protects you against hooks and fly lines.
- Sunglasses – quality polarized sunglasses are a must.
- Camera – for that big one!
- Cash for fishing licenses and tips.